Robert J. Thorsness, M.D.
Shoulder & Elbow Surgery, Sports Medicine
Staff Physician, Hinsdale Orthopaedics
Dr. Thorsness’ clinical expertise focuses on shoulder and elbow surgery and sports medicine with an emphasis on shoulder and elbow reconstruction and replacement. Most commonly, he treats patients for rotator cuff disorders, shoulder dislocations and instability, labral tears, arthritis, fractures and sports injuries, using minimally invasive arthroscopic techniques. For management of shoulder arthritis, he utilizes anatomic total shoulder and reverse total shoulder replacement using the most modern, bone preserving techniques. He believes in a team-oriented approach to treatment, which often involves physical and occupational therapists to maximize functional outcomes for his patients.
He received a Doctorate of Medicine from Washington University in St. Louis, followed by residency training in orthopaedic surgery at University of Rochester, Rochester, NY. Dr. Thorsness went on to complete a fellowship in shoulder and elbow surgery at Rush University in Chicago, a top U.S. hospital and one of Chicago’s finest academic medical centers.
- Fellowship, Shoulder & Elbow Surgery, Rush University, Chicago, IL
- Residency,University of Rochester, Rochester, NY
- M.D., Washington University, St. Louis, MO
- B.A., Northwestern University, Evanston, IL
Areas of Specialty
- Orthopaedic Surgery
- Shoulder Arthroscopy & Reconstruction
- Elbow Arthroscopy & Reconstruction
- Anatomic Total Shoulder Replacement
- Reverse Total Shoulder Replacement
- Total Elbow Replacement
- Knee Arthroscopy & Ligament Reconstruction
- Management of Work-related & Sports Injuries
Current & Previous Appointments
- Staff Physician, Hinsdale Orthopaedics
- Staff Physician, Presence St. Joseph Medical Center, Advocate Good Samaritan Hospital, Silver Cross Hospital
American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (AAOS)